Law Courts Galleria | ?m | 4s | Province of Alberta | Next Architecture

What do you think of this project?

• Total voters
A courthouse fitting for a Red Deer or something similar. This has been embarrassment for decades......
Funny you say that--Red Deer's new courthouse is almost complete, and while it's not likely to win any architectural awards (it looks straight out of 2007 to me), it's multitudes better than the leaky brutalist behemoth we have.

23726430_web1_201222-rda-courthouse-courthouse_2.jpg

I'm sure Red Deer needed a new courthouse but, for me, looking at Calgary's state of the art courthouse and this new courthouse in Red Deer and then comparing to our leaky, shabby and outdated courthouse just screams out, yet again, where Edmonton and our priorities rank with the GoA.

I actually like the Brutalist design of our courthouse (Boston City Hall anyone?), but I would prefer a brand new courthouse building to be constructed east of 97th Street in Boyle Street as there is considerable development land (surface parking lots) and would be an easy, quick walk to the existing courthouse complex. Is the likelihood of that happening high? Not really, as I doubt the GOA would want to spend the hundreds of millions on that project as they seem to despise Edmonton. If the ANDP take power in the spring, I would be more confident, however.

I quite like the idea of developing a swanky new courthouse on 103A Ave between 97 St and 96 St. It will be literally across the street from Edmonton Police HQ and should help breathe new life to The Quarters. The farmers market won't be happy about losing their parking lot but they can use the parking lot on the other side of 103 Ave. The current Law Courts building can then be redeveloped into a badly-needed extension of the AGA.

I'm sure Red Deer needed a new courthouse but, for me, looking at Calgary's state of the art courthouse and this new courthouse in Red Deer and then comparing to our leaky, shabby and outdated courthouse just screams out, yet again, where Edmonton and our priorities rank with the GoA.
Didn't you hear? All we have to do is ensure that Edmonton aligns politically with the UCP and we'll get more attention.

So without trying to give away too much, I work out of the Law Courts building. To say this building is in dire condition is being generous. The amount of repairs, malfunctions, breakdowns and severe lack of capacity has been taking a huge toll on the justice system in Edmonton.

There has been zero mention or even rumours of getting a new building. To see Calgary have a beautiful courthouse and now Red Deer about to get theirs has been tough for people to see here.

As much as I don't envision the UCP giving us a new building, I do believe whether they like it or not (or whoever is in power come spring) will have no choice but to address this issue and begrudgingly come to terms that the city needs a new building in order for people to carry out their jobs and ensure matters are no longer back logged due to capacity issues.

kill two birds with one stone and build a replacement law courts building on the old remand grounds. I believe there is already a pedway tunnel connection, so, bonus!
Shame the old remand site is so small. Current footprint of the existing courthouse is probably double the size.

I still remember the Old city court house on 97st behind the police station that was used for a time. It was like an old army barracks. The current court house was new at the time but did not do minor crimes. About the 1970s. I was a witness to a robbery and had to go to testify.

kill two birds with one stone and build a replacement law courts building on the old remand grounds. I believe there is already a pedway tunnel connection, so, bonus!
I kind of want that site for a intercity rail station. That is my pie in the sky dreaming but need to think ahead long term.

Back