News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.2K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.3K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.5K     0 

Edmonton Real Estate Market

RE/MAX Excellence Commercial Division is excited to relocate our award-winning commercial team to SouthTrail Plaza in January 2023, with future planned relocation to EVER Square in 2024. The establishment of a satellite office within the shared office at EVER Real Estate Developments is in line with our goal to support knowledge, collaboration, and performance through an exclusively commercial environment.

Screenshot-2022-12-16-at-2.14.01-PM-980x548.png

UDI chimes in

How bad is the smell from that dog food factory in Morinville does anyone know? The wife and I are thinking of buying a home out there as houses are much bigger and cheaper. I was surprised the other day; we took a drive from Costco in St. Albert to Morinville and it only took us about 5-6 minutes to get there.

How bad is the smell from that dog food factory in Morinville does anyone know? The wife and I are thinking of buying a home out there as houses are much bigger and cheaper. I was surprised the other day; we took a drive from Costco in St. Albert to Morinville and it only took us about 5-6 minutes to get there.
Been a little while since I have been out that way but I believe the old issue with smell from the champion pet food plant has been addressed.

It does really feel quite close to St. Albert for sure. If you need to get through St. Albert traffic isn't always great but Ray Gibbon, particularly once future extensions are completed, will help a lot in that regard.

Champion Foods Moved a few years ago to Acheson so there should not be any issues now.

Morinville and St. Albert cost delta is wild now. $100k difference for the same duplex between the two places and 10 mins away.

Morinville and St. Albert cost delta is wild now. $100k difference for the same duplex between the two places and 10 mins away.
just to play a little devil's advocate, while it might be 10 minutes from the north edge of st. albert to the south edge of morinville, the "house to house" time differential is probably more than that but let's use that.

assuming a two people are making that commute, that's 10 minutes times 2 (two people) times 2 (twice a day, there and back once) times 220 (average number of working days) for a total of 146.6 hours per year or 1,026 hours in 7 years (which used to be the average time lived in a single location).

assuming that not everything (ie shopping, visiting family, doctor and dental appointments, entertainment, children's activities etc.) will take place in morinville, let's assume that number would increase by half to say 220 hours per year in total.

at $100k (which admittedly ignores both the time value of money and any delta in increased values over that time), that's the equivalent of about $65 an hour to live in a community with fewer amenities, some of which (ie lack of bus service and connections) will also require a second car to be owned and operated out of that "savings".

i guess how wild that is depends on how much your value your time and whether you both value and can afford the difference.

just to play a little devil's advocate, while it might be 10 minutes from the north edge of st. albert to the south edge of morinville, the "house to house" time differential is probably more than that but let's use that.

assuming a two people are making that commute, that's 10 minutes times 2 (two people) times 2 (twice a day, there and back once) times 220 (average number of working days) for a total of 146.6 hours per year or 1,026 hours in 7 years (which used to be the average time lived in a single location).

assuming that not everything (ie shopping, visiting family, doctor and dental appointments, entertainment, children's activities etc.) will take place in morinville, let's assume that number would increase by half to say 220 hours per year in total.

at $100k (which admittedly ignores both the time value of money and any delta in increased values over that time), that's the equivalent of about $65 an hour to live in a community with fewer amenities, some of which (ie lack of bus service and connections) will also require a second car to be owned and operated out of that "savings".

i guess how wild that is depends on how much your value your time and whether you both value and can afford the difference.

Add to all of that a "much bigger house" in Morinville can come with much bigger costs to maintain - utilities, repair, furnish etc.- that may eat into that $100,000 savings over time.

Apparently there’s still a dog food company in Morinville and the smell is still there. I reached out to a few of my acquaintances last night and they said that it’s not “7 days a week bad” but it’s definitely noticeable depending on which way the wind blows. That’s a bummer really but I had a hunch it would be too good to be true.

I was looking at the community of South Glens in Morinville. They’ve got giant homes in the high $300s such as these ones:

I mean you literally travel 5 minutes South from there to St. Albert and you’re looking at $550-$600k detached properties that are relatively similar to the ones I posted.

We might look at Cardiff, Leduc and Devon now but we’ll keep our eyes open for the North Side of Morinville as well. Lots of options, that’s what I love about our province!

good piece - though according to everyone on this forum the suburbs are part of the axis of evil.

also they did not interview a suburban developer for the article.

Back