I like it!

Though I can already hear the NIMBY crowd:
"It's too big!"
"I will lose my sunshine!"
"This will impact car traffic!"
"This will impact parking!"
"That parking lot is too important to me!"
"My property values will go down!"
"I'm in Jasper House, and people in the new building will not respect my privacy!"

Did I miss anything?

Kudos to Brian Allsopp and crew for putting forth a bold vision -- I like to see local firms "stepping out". The balconies are all on the river-view side and that makes sense. Architecturally, the concept is sensitive to both site and functional intent. Is it mandatory or even desirable to have a building "read" the same from all sides? -- no! A great deal of thought has been set forth to make the building relate to Jasper House and to give that existing structure room to breathe. The fact that it is already eliciting response from the architectural-critique-crazies makes me chuckle.

I like it!

Though I can already hear the NIMBY crowd:
"It's too big!"
"I will lose my sunshine!"
"This will impact car traffic!"
"This will impact parking!"
"That parking lot is too important to me!"
"My property values will go down!"
"I'm in Jasper House, and people in the new building will not respect my privacy!"

Did I miss anything?
Jasper House won't be an issue with this building ;)

Thinking on this further - why is this development called "Jasper House" when there is already a Jasper House next door? 🤔

Perhaps it will be called Jasper House Part Deux in the spirit of Hot Shots (the movie) as a bit of a parody of good design next door?

I misspoke (typed) a few frames earlier. Brian Allsopp is not the architect for this project; it is another Edmonton-based firm -- TBD/Architects. Nonetheless, good to see these pros grab a project like this. During the development of Rogers Place the principals of the firm were acquired by Stantec to head up their sports division. Since, they have re-established their own firm -- https://tbdarch.com/ -- and are coming out of the box with a winner. Brian Bengert (the B in TBD) has a Masters degree in Architecture from the Technical University of Nova Scotia (Dalhousie U.) This article -- https://www.stantec.com/en/news/201...-edmonton-based-architecture-tkalcic-bengert1 -- sheds light on the rationale supporting why their entire firm was bought out by Stantec. Congrats to Joe Tkalcic (the T in TBD) and Brian Bengert for reprising their own firm -- excellent start guys!

I misspoke (typed) a few frames earlier. Brian Allsopp is not the architect for this project; it is another Edmonton-based firm -- TBD/Architects. Nonetheless, good to see these pros grab a project like this. During the development of Rogers Place the principals of the firm were acquired by Stantec to head up their sports division. Since, they have re-established their own firm -- https://tbdarch.com/ -- and are coming out of the box with a winner. Brian Bengert (the B in TBD) has a Masters degree in Architecture from the Technical University of Nova Scotia (Dalhousie U.) This article -- https://www.stantec.com/en/news/201...-edmonton-based-architecture-tkalcic-bengert1 -- sheds light on the rationale supporting why their entire firm was bought out by Stantec. Congrats to Joe Tkalcic (the T in TBD) and Brian Bengert for reprising their own firm -- excellent start guys!

I figured TBD didn't mean something else.

I figured TBD didn't mean something else.

Actually @dkazzed according to the TBD/Architects website and in their case it does. In the world of Concepts and Proposals it also means "To Be Determined" suggesting that efforts such as theirs have to run a gauntlet of inspection and introspection before becoming reality. I think that their Proposal is brilliant -- I know that it does not measure up to those who prefer unadorned boxes on the City skyline -- but this Concept faces two worlds. On the one hand it has an association with the River Valley and the River itself, winding and curvilinear; on the other it faces the City character purported by Jasper Avenue, stark and urban. I like the two associations that the Architects have drawn with their solution -- the fluctuating balconies on the South-face mirror the wantonness of the natural world; the rigidity of the urban world on the North-face takes on the character of the City's grid, hustle and bustle. And they have gone a step further -- TBD/Architects have defined a public restaurant space where people sit and are afforded the opportunity to view the natural beauty of the river valley (a space that also opens up to a substantial public plaza -- hopefully the future eatery tenant will be able to serve tables on this space as well). The more commercial and retail aspects have their uses defined on the commercial-oriented Jasper Avenue. If you examine this Concept more carefully, you will also see a functional relationship between human scale elements at Grade level and a subservient relationship in a physical and a material change that nods to the smaller Jasper House building next to it. These guys have hit this one out of the park -- I dearly hope that it does not get butchered too much running the "gauntlet" -- that is TBD.

No kidding 'O!... There is some "deluding" however. You are deluding yourself if you think you are capable of carrying the mantle of "architectural critic". I know from past comments that you like square and boxy and simple; this building is not that.

Back