News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.2K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.4K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.5K     0 

Keep 102 Ave closed to vehicles

After considered deliberation and discussion with my Partner (Landscape Architect), I have decided to take a run at developing Concept Drawings for 102nd Avenue, taking the area from 96th Street to 108th Street (it is important to show the continuation and connectivity of other downtown entities). Some of you can help by providing PNGs and JPegs of the street as it exists (including LRT configurations) -- I don't work in AutoCAD; I use ArchiCAD and Vectorworks as my main drawing platforms, so AutoCAD drawings aren't as useful as the other formats mentioned. I am not looking for any kind of remuneration or recognition for this effort; I only want to help the City by showing possibilities.

^good points; makes me wonder why we don't just expand the pedways and update them with food stalls, plants, Edison bulbs and an oversized chessboard to make them more vibrant 24-7.
I suspect people will continue to mostly use the pedways, first out of habit and convenience, second because they are temperature controlled (not just better at minus 30, but also on windy and or rainy days) and third because that is where the retail services are. There is nothing to draw people to 102 Ave at the street level in this area despite the already fairly wide sidewalks.

However, I get that this is an experiment supposedly for a limited period of time. So, at the end of it if there is no noticeable benefit or improvement to the area, only inconvenience, I suppose we have our answer. Likewise, if it works we have an answer too. We can then proceed accordingly.

maclean-wind-sculpture-11-13-12_852x480_2304004591.jpg

Here's a better shot

It better look and feel like this by July or I will be disappointed.
original_Marc-Bruxelle.jpg

original_rue-mouffetard-paris-france_elena-dijour.jpg

Gee the closest we have to this in Edmonton would be Manchester Square, because we mostly tear down or abandon our older buildings that have small street level retail and character. Sorry, Manulife Place or City Centre will never be this.

Maybe the Tegler Building could have been, but that was torn down decades ago.

Gee the closest we have to this in Edmonton would be Manchester Square, because we mostly tear down or abandon our older buildings that have small street level retail and character. Sorry, Manulife Place or City Centre will never be this.

Maybe the Tegler Building could have been, but that was torn down decades ago.
I think 104 st could also be a good candidate, but you're right; historic buildings here are tragically few and far between.

Back