News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.2K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.4K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.5K     0 

Capital Line LRT

Once the Capital Line South extension is completed, will an extension of Capital Line North to Fort Saskatchewan be the next logical extension?
I think that's too far for a local LRT line to be honest. The EMSTC's commuter bus service will be a good first step; the service plan under development might apparently call for weekend service. If we were to go with some sort of rail-based solution, I'd truly love to see regional rail connecting the local communities. Maybe it could be a light rail line that's faster, or maybe it could be something heavier. I'd love to see rail, I just don't think it should be merged with a local line.

Once the Capital Line South extension is completed, will an extension of Capital Line North to Fort Saskatchewan be the next logical extension?

Gorman is on the list, but the Metro Line to at least Castle Downs is ahead of it. It looks like Gorman is likely beyond 15 years.

In 2016 the priorities were:
1. Valley Line West- full line
2. Metro Line- NAIT to Blatchford
3. Capital Line South- Century Park to Ellerslie
4. Downtown Circulator- University to Boonie Doon
5. Metro Line- Blatchford to Castle Downs
6. Valley Line SE- Mill Woods to Ellerslie
7. Capital Line North- Clareview to Gorman
8. Capital Line North- Gorman to Alberta Hospital
9. Capital Line North- Alberta Hospital to Edmonton Energy and Technology Park
10. Metro Line- Castle Downs to Campbell Road
11. Capital Line South- Ellerslie to Heritage Valley Town Center
12. Festival Line- Boonie Doon to Sherwood Park
13. Downtown Circulator- Downtown to University
14. Capital Line South- Heriitage Valley Town Centre to EIA

With the City Plan this was further distilled down to:
Capital Line- Clareview to Heritage Valley Town Centre
Metro Line- Blatchford to Health Sciences
Valley Line- Lewis Farm to Mill Woods

The North side then raised hell that they were not getting any LRT under the City Plan to a population of 1.25 million, so, in February Council voted to include the Metro Line from Blatchford to Castle Downs (and extend the WVLRT to a the new Lewis Farms Rec Centre)
The City Plan also essentially killed LRT as being the mode used on Whyte Ave.

So a revised version of the above priorities now looks like this:
1. Valley Line West- full line
2. Metro Line- NAIT to Blatchford
3. Capital Line South- Century Park to Ellerslie
4/5. Capital Line South- Ellerslie to Heritage Valley Town Center
4/5. Metro Line- Blatchford to Castle Downs
6. Valley Line SE- Mill Woods to Ellerslie
7. Capital Line North- Clareview to Gorman
8. Capital Line North- Gorman to Alberta Hospital
9. Capital Line North- Alberta Hospital to Edmonton Energy and Technology Park
10. Metro Line- Castle Downs to Campbell Road
11. Capital Line South- Heriitage Valley Town Centre to EIA

Of course, who knows where #6 and beyond really fall now. The one thing Gorman has going for it is that is/ was shovel ready and is a relatively easy build given it uses an existing Railway RoW for a good portion of it's length. Hell, it's been shovel ready since 2010... 12 years ago now, but, as I recall the funding was transferred to build the Metro Line to NAIT all in one shot. Of course, while Gorman might have a place in line, there could be a push to get the Metro Line to Campbell Road in order to get it into St. Albert.

Sources:

The City Plan also essentially killed LRT as being the mode used on Whyte Ave.
Going off that: When I was on the Valley Line tour a month or two ago, I asked the city staff about the circulator route. They confirmed that it's dead in all but name now; council hasn't made any formal vote to kill it, but its coverage is being replaced by BRT routes like the proposed BRT on/near Whyte. I'm not sure if BRT will cover all of it or not though.

Going off that: When I was on the Valley Line tour a month or two ago, I asked the city staff about the circulator route. They confirmed that it's dead in all but name now; council hasn't made any formal vote to kill it, but its coverage is being replaced by BRT routes like the proposed BRT on/near Whyte. I'm not sure if BRT will cover all of it or not though.
It would be council's decision, though.

I don't disagree with re-prioritizing things, but eventually we'll need another east-west based rail route.

I would say go South, NW, Airport, then the secondary N-S route, then start building circle lines.

I remain consistently surprised that a Capital Line stop at 95 Street to serve Little Italy/Chinatown/Boyle isn't #1 on the to-build list. I anticipate that the implications for dense infill, accessibility to services and transit for equity-seeking communities would all be significant.

I remain consistently surprised that a Capital Line stop at 95 Street to serve Little Italy/Chinatown/Boyle isn't #1 on the to-build list. I anticipate that the implications for dense infill, accessibility to services and transit for equity-seeking communities would all be significant.
That's not inherently ruled out by the priorities of which lines get built first. As it is, there is already a plan to replace Coliseum with two stations, one further north, and one further south.

That's not inherently ruled out by the priorities of which lines get built first. As it is, there is already a plan to replace Coliseum with two stations, one further north, and one further south.
I don't see them ever putting two stations there.

Back