News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.2K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.4K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.5K     0 

Jasper Avenue New Vision / Imagine Jasper Avenue

Well a big thing I want to see happen sooner than later is the installation of the Harbin gate.

See post #637

@Avenuer
I understand that the COE is collaborating with Harbin again (as with the old one) so not sure how long it will take to get materials for that from China and manufactured in time to install this year (I think next year is more likely, especially with ongoing supply chain issues).

^We essentially have 5 different streetscapes from 97 to 124 street now. The first started in 2008 and it feels like it's going to take another decade or more to complete. It's looks ridiculous.

There's a lot of pushback to not do Jasper Ave construction while the Valley Line west is under construction. So you are correct it would be like 2030 before we see anything completed. I guess it is what it is. I really really really want to get rid of those terrible looking green utility/poster buildings on Jasper. But alas.

^We essentially have 5 different streetscapes from 97 to 124 street now. The first started in 2008 and it feels like it's going to take another decade or more to complete. It's looks ridiculous.

There's a lot of pushback to not do Jasper Ave construction while the Valley Line west is under construction. So you are correct it would be like 2030 before we see anything completed. I guess it is what it is. I really really really want to get rid of those terrible looking green utility/poster buildings on Jasper. But alas.
I'd wager we would have a better deal if we just bite the bullet and go through it all at once. Better than having 20+ years of construction that keeps needing to be updated by the time we get to the end of it. Thinking forward, with everything going on in DT and the upcoming FIFA World Cup in 2026, it would be nice to have the city focus on having as much of the renewals done before that, so that the city is looking nice to receive all of those visitors and their pretty dollars.

It kills me every time I pass buy it, all dismantled in that empty lot by the LRT! Hopefully it doesn't take too too long to get it back up.
That one isn't going back up since it's too narrow to fit across 97 Street and it's also structrually deficient as well, hence why a brand new gate is being planned now.

That one isn't going back up since it's too narrow to fit across 97 Street and it's also structrually deficient as well, hence why a brand new gate is being planned now.
Did they say if they were going to repurpose the old one for another location? I'd be happy to put it up in front of my house if noone else wants it.

Comparing old and new; The first picture is of Jasper Ave from 109 st, looking east (which is not funded yet). The second pic is of Jasper Ave from 109 st, looking west (which is nearly done).
20220527_142928.jpg
20220527_142955.jpg

Comparing old and new; The first picture is of Jasper Ave from 109 st, looking east (which is not funded yet). The second pic is of Jasper Ave from 109 st, looking west (which is nearly done).
View attachment 402839View attachment 402838

Last year there were 3 dead trees on the north side of Jasper between 110 and 111 streets that had been planted in 2020 and they replaced them in the fall 2021. This year there are 7 dead trees in just that one block including the 3 they replaced.

Weren't they going to start a new section of East Jasper (114st to 120st) this year? They can't seriously be planning to wait until WLRT construction is done...that stretch is such an embarrassment.

Weren't they going to start a new section of East Jasper (114st to 120st) this year? They can't seriously be planning to wait until WLRT construction is done...that stretch is such an embarrassment.

Send a quick email to Coun. Stevenson to let her know your thoughts/priorities here.

At same time, let her know you're in favor of gondola - if you're not, then no need to say anything about it. 😆

Weren't they going to start a new section of East Jasper (114st to 120st) this year? They can't seriously be planning to wait until WLRT construction is done...that stretch is such an embarrassment.On
Only 109 to 114 Street in Oliver was funded in the last Capital Budget cycle. The new Capital Budget cycle will be debated this fall, however Councilors and administration is already starting to decide now what will be prioritized.

Since there's only so much money to go around, important for communities to prioritize what projects they should support. I'd suggest 114 st-124 st is probably high on the priority list for Oliver. It does look terrible and would have the most impact along 114-116 St for redevelopment.

Back