News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.2K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.4K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.5K     0 

Keep 102 Ave closed to vehicles

Reposting from another thread

speaking of bike routes... 102 AVE IS FINALLY OPEN!!!!!
View attachment 401210View attachment 401211View attachment 401212
fences are moved over from the sidewalk, so they now just block off the tracks (where they ought to have been all winter, but i digress) so you can move laterally from sidewalk to bike lane to car lane. there's construction barriers at the ends, which look new, but access is completely clear mid-block so i figured it was open enough to use.
It's nice to get this one little bit of infra back. I just hope we get a bit of time with the new lane open and continuous with the old lane, before it turns into a construction zone too.

FTFQlfbUcAAEPwg

A report about the proposed 102 Ave closure is going to the Urban Planning Committee on Tuesday May 31. I was on a tour of the Valley Line the other day (post coming soon), and one of the city planners confirmed that access to the parkades and loading zones along 102 Ave was actually maintained during the road's closure. It involved readjusting work zones and barriers when required. The reason why 102 ave is partially westbound and partially eastbound is because the intersection was slightly offset, and they wanted to keep the track in a straight line instead of moving any of the roads.

I get tired of the comments on CBC saying, "We need to spend more on the homeless?" How much more? We''ve spent a lot of money on affordable housing (despite a lack of funding from the province). Can Edmonton ever have anything nice?

Walked that street today, I still can't see the value of making it pedestrian only. There is nothing on either side that gives anyone enough reason to walk there. ECC = blank wall, YMCA = bank wall etc. There is nothing intimate enough along the entire street to walk down.

Last edited:
Walked that street today, I still can't see the value of making it pedestrian only. There is nothing on either side that gives anyone enough reason to walk there. ECC = blank wall, WMCA = bank wall etc. There is nothing intimate enough along the entire street to walk down.
I agree, I think putting permanent street/farmer market type of stalls along the whole way during summer would help make it more intimate

Back