News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.2K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.4K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.5K     0 

Cycling and Active Transportation in Edmonton

Bike shops across Canada are reporting brisk sales since the sharp rise of gas prices. Let's get going on those protected bike lanes YEG. 🙂

Bike shops in Canada, like Winnipeg’s Woodcock Cycle, have already started experiencing an early spring rush as gas prices soar.

“Our season usually doesn’t kick off quite this early,” Jon Carson, manager at the shop, told Global News Winnipeg. “A lot of people are mentioning that gas prices are actually driving them to the store,” he said.

I was split between Option 2 (protected lanes on both sides) and option 3 (1 protected lane and traffic calmed street with right turn diverters and curb extensions). I figured the 2 lanes would be the safest pick though.
same. option 2 seemed like the least bad solution. I just wish they'd put a proper bi-directional, 3m-wide lane on the South side. that would put the pedestrian and bike space next to each other, give bikes space to maneuver (read: pass, which the mono-directional lanes in option 2 are too narrow for) and act as traffic calming for cars. the mono-directional lanes tend to put you too close for comfort to traffic, but none of the options seem to consider that. IDK, all 4 options seem overly-complicated and convoluted, and really geared around managing car traffic via the addition of bike infra instead of genuinely trying to improve biking.

I voted for Option 1 because it would make the bike lane permanent instead of being open only for summer. It's the simplest solution that really doesn't need one IMO.

Tbh, this is a pretty embarrassing survey. I get that it’s part of street labs and not the official build out, but this is such a critical link and the fact that we’ve admitted at a high level we need to build all ages and abilities infrastructure, then they literally only give 1 of 4 options that meets that criteria is so frustrating. Why are we suggesting options that don’t even meet our guide books?? Option 2 with the bike lanes on both sides is the only option really. A child or senior or anyone that’s not a 20-40 year old male (statistically speaking), does not want to bike on the road with cars moving 40+ kms/hr. I don’t get our city sometimes…

I personally think they should just ditch the bike lane altogether, which allows for wider roads. There isn't much traffic here, and travels at a low speed. Everyone can get along safely here without a bike lane, and 2 lanes of traffic and parking can be maintained for vehicles. If this changes 20 years from now, you can alter the road to add a bike line then.

Back