News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.2K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.4K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.5K     0 

Edmonton City Centre Mall (Renovations) | ?m | 2s | LaSalle Investment Management

The food courts were moved from the lower level to the 3rd level to make room for more parkade space.

Oh yes, the parking, oh god! As someone said recently, they don't go to Paris to see the parking.

I would argue in trying to solve some problems, they made things worse. There were a number of established long term tenants in the lower floor space. All the disruption from shuffling these and other tenants around also contributed considerably to the worsening situation with vacancy.

They forgot they were running a shopping mall and imagined they were running a parkade instead. Well at least they sold it after they helped drive it into the ground. Hopefully the new owners are more competent.

I just wish they would start their redevelopment as per the renders we saw a few months back - with LRT and Ice District work still going on and a virtually empty mall, 2022 would be ideal from a city perspective to have this work begin.
Alaa, it has to be right time for the developer/owner, however.

It might be this:
dinggond.png

Walking through the mall main floor today. I noticed Clark Builders has a project office on the Main floor east beside the Rickis.

If the ECC project were to begin this year (hopefully Clarke builders isn't just there for the TD bank reno), this would be one of the highlights of the year.

Still behind Edmonton being awarded 5 World Cup games in 2026, if that happens, but very huge. Also up there, the massive and expedited expansion of our bike network, too.
And dual expansions of capital and metro lines. And.... a lot of good stuff happening and potentially happening to start of 2022!

Too bad it's still a bank.

Though I suppose that stretch of 101 st isn't destined to become a vibrant, pedestrian street anytime in the near future.

Banks are okay for streetlife, not perfect, but not the worst offender which has got to be office at streetlevel. You do get foot traffic in and out of the bank. This looks to be very street oriented, will help to clean up that corner a lot, so this is a win in my books.

Back