The Parks | 146.91m | 45s | 35s | 13s | Pangman | Hariri Pontarini

What do you think of this project?

• I dislike it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I dislike it a lot

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
We need a renewed focus to get it to 20,000+ to get some critical mass going.

Simon O'Byrne always said 25k was the magic number to get the ball rolling.

Ian - this is that thing again where being so esoteric without context leaves people alienated.

You can be informative when you try, but it really comes across as conceited. It doesn't serve the forum or yourself.

Not just Encore. Sky Residences has been felling up, and so has the Legends. I'd bet in the DT population being at the high 13 thousands, low 14 thousands
I'm looking forward to the release of the federal census results starting early next year. I'm guessing it'll break down the population by neighbourhood/district, and not just tell us how many people live in the city in general?

Love it! Hopefully we can stop the sprawl, and have most families consider downtown as their first option for buying a condo and raising children. We just need to implement a moratorium on new suburban development for five years. I have contacted my councilor, and I encourage others to do so. The downtown park, scheduled to open in a few years, is intended to be a huge draw for families to live in the core. I'm hoping that we can get 50,000 people downtown within ten years. And with all the new developments proposed, plus a few more, I believe it's doable.

Love it! Hopefully we can stop the sprawl, and have most families consider downtown as their first option for buying a condo and raising children. We just need to implement a moratorium on new suburban development for five years. I have contacted my councilor, and I encourage others to do so. The downtown park, scheduled to open in a few years, is intended to be a huge draw for families to live in the core. I'm hoping that we can get 50,000 people downtown within ten years. And with all the new developments proposed, plus a few more, I believe it's doable.
I’m not a big fan of eliminating one of Edmontons strategic advantages in affordable housing by putting artificial constraints on greenfield development.

That being said, my suggestion to past councillors fell on deaf ears when I told them it would be advisable and sustainable to have limitations on greenfield development based on population per capita. That the city has to hit certain benchmarks before it can open new space to development. This ensures that the city will mitigate some of the long term maintenance and operational costs of urban sprawl down the road.

Ian - this is that thing again where being so esoteric without context leaves people alienated.

You can be informative when you try, but it really comes across as conceited. It doesn't serve the forum or yourself.

Apologies if that's the feeling, but it isn't hard to educate and update yourself.

Apologies if that's the feeling, but it isn't hard to educate and update yourself.
Ian, constructive criticism:

Sometimes it is really hard to get what you're talking about, especially when your post ends up below a whole bunch of other posts, but you haven't quoted or made a specific reference.

It becomes hard to reply to your comments with any substance and/or makes the conversation convoluted.

I dont find Ian's comments super confusing. Sometimes I dont always understand context, but same goes for when I talk with any group of friends where there is a topic they are more experienced than me. Lingo, jargon, references, acronyms, etc are all part of a group/community. You often pick up on them through engagement. There are lots of terms i have learned from the discussions on this site that I didn't know before! I dont always expect them to be explained. Its helpful to have context, we can ask others for clarity, but I dont think its fair to go after ian on this. Stay curious, ask questions, Google stuff, etc. Idk, just my thoughts. I appreciate what ian shares even when indont always understand or agree!

2010 wants their forum back

In all honesty I agree that 25,000 would be a good near-term target for downtown population... but should be seen as a starting point more than an end point.

There's been a slow and steady population build in west oliver/brewery district lately that has gone under the radar.

There really is no magic number. I believe more is probably better, but oddly there was more retail downtown 10 or 20 years ago when there were fewer people living downtown.

I'm not sure more upscale condos, if those people just drive to Unity Square or IKEA to do most of their shopping, really helps that much.

Lesser amount of online shopping, remnants of the 60-70s where people really chose to come Downtown and the big box phenomenon... among other things.

Kinda sad really.

Back