Rogers Place | ?m | ?s | Katz Group | HOK

What do you think of this project?

• Total voters
Las Vegas Arena doesn't get there either...
Screen Shot 2021-12-05 at 10.30.10 AM.png

Ah, I see you are referring to exterior design. I interpreted your comment more as the arena design as a whole in which I believe Rogers Place lacks these other arenas significantly.

I only hope Rogers place figures out a way to follow what Seattle did to bring the arena to a net zero carbon. the Amazon just walk though technology from what I've heard is amazing. You can go grab a drink at a whistle and not miss the puck drop.

Rogers also dropped the ball on washroom facilities. Way more should have and could have been incorporated. Other than that Rogers as an arena is amazing.

The people hired to pump up the fans though.. Well thats a whole nother problem

watching the oilers/kraken play in climate pledge arena wondering what the construction/reno costs have been since it was built for the world’s fair:

$7 million (1962)
($61.2 million in 2020 dollars
$74.5 million (1995)
($130 million in 2020 dollars
$1.15 billion (2021)

kind of makes rogers place look like a bargain…
By this logic the big “O” was a bargain at $1.47 billion. 😏

"What’s driving the price increase? If I had to make a list:
  • Connor McDavid and Leon Draisaitl.
  • The still new downtown arena.
  • The ever growing arena district.
  • Edmonton’s fanatic fans."
Not sure how Shannon is making the correlation to the fans. I'd argue the fans were MOST invested in this team between 1996-2006. This was an era of affordable tickets, affordable game day experiences, and generational traditions where kids inherited their passion from their parents. With all the competition for different forms of entertainment these days, and the ability to watch the game from home in HD, I'd argue people are less fanatical about the team now after the past 14 years than they ever have beenbefore.

The Forbes article indicates revenue made a massive jump in the 2016-2017 season from 117 million dollars to 151 million dollars. That's about a 23% increase in revenue year over year and has been at this level since. OEG has also experienced a reduction in operating income over the past 5 years. Meaning the business is facing less profitability.

I suspect the valuation has more to do with brand power, considering we landed the two best players in the world, the Oilers logo became far more marketable and it was just after we got McD that we saw that boost in revenue. That said, based off the basic financials we have on hand. I'd say this organization is grossly overvalued by Forbes.

Although we do not notice it as much as many places, there is a lot of asset price inflation in general, in the world these days. Certainly the cost of building a new arena seems to keep going up quite a bit, so that is probably part of the valuation too.

Holy Murray Edwards! Just pulled the deal on the new YYC Event Center! I’ve been saying this since 2017…..he already had a deal to sell to the guy in Houston. ALL Flames staff were told in April of that year…..

Back