Rogers Place | ?m | ?s | Katz Group | HOK

What do you think of this project?

• Total voters
Plus, the new arena doesn't even look that good

That their city isn't on the hook for any cost increases from this point forward is a win - that falls on the Flames. Although if costs do start to go up you wonder if any design elements or features will be value engineered.

Some good things about their arena will be street level interaction with restaurants, CRUs. That portion looks good. From what I read there's an above ground parkade attached to arena which is unfortunate. Parkade apparently limited the design.

In retrospect, I think Edmonton did better with Rogers Place.
I think so too. As was pointed out, rising construction costs always seem to be an issue, waiting or doing it later never saves money.

Also, I think what Edmonton has is a very good location - a truly downtown arena. Calgary will get a new building, nice enough from what I have seen, but I wouldn't say spectacular, in much the same location as the existing one. It is not quite as far from downtown as Northlands/Rexall Place was, but it isn't close to the heart of downtown either.

Having a downtown location has a number of advantages, including good integration with two transit lines, large hotels and some shopping nearby and likely a bit of an entertainment district to eventually develop nearby including a good variety of bars and restaurants.

^^^^ There is no comparison -- Edmonton has the top arena building from a design perspective in the world! I hope that the Phase II by Katz and company respects that advantage.
I think there is definitely a comparison. I'd say the rinks in Toronto, Minnesota, Los Angeles (x2), and Pittsburgh all are quite easily a superior design to the rink in Edmonton. I guess it depends on what you mean by design perspective though, and obviously is just an opinion.

Screen Shot 2021-12-05 at 9.54.56 AM.png

This Versus this?
Screen Shot 2021-12-05 at 9.53.44 AM.png

A big square box laid on its side? There is no comparison here!

I think there is definitely a comparison. I'd say the rinks in Toronto, Minnesota, Los Angeles (x2), and Pittsburgh all are quite easily a superior design to the rink in Edmonton. I guess it depends on what you mean by design perspective though, and obviously is just an opinion.
And Las Vegas

Back