News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.2K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.4K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.5K     0 

Edmonton Companies News & Discussion

Wow! 4 Massive Industrial projects! Esso’s, Air Liquids, the Ammonia plant and now this! I’ll take these high paying construction and ultimately high paying Operations jobs any day over all this silly nanny “Tech” jobs down South! They can have them and their min. wage attachments
I am still trying to figure out what is it that you have against Tech jobs, and what evidence do you have that the IT jobs in Calgary are all Call Centre and minimum wage... I guess the folks at Bioware must all be making peanuts compared to the allmigthy industrial jobs...

Grow up, man... we need to start attracting jobs that are not industrial, too... Not everyone can (or want) to relocate just so they can have a career in something other than industrial operation, especially in a city the size of Edmonton. I like it here enough that I don't want to leave, but my career choices here are extremely limited thanks to people who think like you and let Calgary (and Kelowna, and Halifax, and London, and Hamilton, etc.., etc.., etc...) get all the white collar jobs.

The way things are going, Edmonton will lose both me and my wife to either Calgary or Vancouver in no time. We're both going to be jobless PhDs in our respective fields with almost ZERO chance of making a career in these fields here, despite the fact that we love the city, because guess what: there are almost NO JOBS for us other than public service or academia (and I know, we're not all that important, mind you, but we're a very good example of what I'm saying). Drive some 300km south and there's research jobs, investment banking, capital management... Go to Vancouver, there's even more. Data Science, Financial Forecasting... you name it... We don't even like the place and we're considering moving there, because I don't want to have spent 12 years of my life in my education to go tighten some screws, neither does my wife. We don't want to change careers, we would love to be able to follow our paths here, but this line of though makes it nearly impossible.

By your logic, if I wanted to have a life here, I should've gone to a college, got a 2 year diploma/certificate and went of to work in O&G, or any industrial job...

How is Edmonton faring in terms of taking advantage of Vancouver's lack of industrial space? The article makes it look like Vancouver's loss is Calgary's (of course synonymous with Alberta) gain, where does Edmonton stand in this?

How is Edmonton faring in terms of taking advantage of Vancouver's lack of industrial space? The article makes it look like Vancouver's loss is Calgary's (of course synonymous with Alberta) gain, where does Edmonton stand in this?

Perhaps getting outhustled? We might be hungry for more business, industry here but I get the perception Calgary is moreso and is really more aggressive regarding these opportunities - just based on my perception.

Perhaps getting outhustled? We might be hungry for more business, industry here but I get the perception Calgary is moreso and is really more aggressive regarding these opportunities - just based on my perception.
I couldn't agree more. This city seems to come second place at attracting investment / business compared to a hungrier city down the road.

On a similar yet broader note, does anyone know what the success rate that Edmonton Global has had on increasing investment attraction or companies to Edmonton since it was established in 2017? As far as I know, Polykar is the only publicly announced company that has expanded into Edmonton that has been tied to Edmonton Global. If that is the case, that is not a very successful rate of return. Does anyone have any further insights as their website does not have much in the form of success metrics.

Yeah it's surprising given Edmonton is a great distribution point for the north (whether that is northern AB or territories) that it wouldn't be a more chosen destination for large warehousing facilities when places like Van are struggling.

That said, Calgary:
Has larger population
Doesn't have to compete with oil and gas for industrial/warehouse space like in Edm
300 KM Closer to border
Larger international airport

Ask and you shall receive apparently. Colliers Industrial Market Edmonton overview for Q3:

Looking forward to reading this; curious to learn more about Indira's experience at the UofA, which from most reports was a bit of a mess, distanced and without direction. I met her on a few occasions and really enjoyed those conversations, but there was always a question around her commitment and effectiveness. Perhaps this will shed some light on some of that...

---
Nerve: Lessons on Leadership From Two Women Who Went First.

Indira Samarasekera and Martha Piper talk about lessons they’ve learned from their lives and careers as leaders.

October 13, 2021 By Lisa Szabo

Yeah it's surprising given Edmonton is a great distribution point for the north (whether that is northern AB or territories) that it wouldn't be a more chosen destination for large warehousing facilities when places like Van are struggling.

That said, Calgary:
Has larger population
Doesn't have to compete with oil and gas for industrial/warehouse space like in Edm
300 KM Closer to border
Larger international airport
If the Port of Vancouver is truly running out of capacity, I wonder if Prince Rupert can step up and take over. That would be great for Edmonton, as we are connected to PR via the CN mainline, which would definitely help attract more logistics business.

Back