News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.2K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.4K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.5K     0 

Jasper Avenue New Vision / Imagine Jasper Avenue

Moan and complain, it's the most Edmonton thing you can do. Hahahaha. We all want things improved but then moan when they are being built. Edmontonians get what they deserve. I might have to change my name to negative1.
That's not the issue here. The biggest problem is that the inefficiency, delays and lack of proper planning hurt the city in various ways, wasting taxpayer money, impacting businesses, major traffic delays that hurt drivers and transit riders, etc...

We should, at least, have construction 6 days a week and extended hours, so it would impact less, just like it happens with so many big cities around the world.

That's not the issue here. The biggest problem is that the inefficiency, delays and lack of proper planning hurt the city in various ways, wasting taxpayer money, impacting businesses, major traffic delays that hurt drivers and transit riders, etc...

We should, at least, have construction 6 days a week and extended hours, so it would impact less, just like it happens with so many big cities around the world.
I know that work on the Valley Line occurs 6 days a week, and I believe the Yellowhead is similar. I don't understand why it isn't the standard for all major city contracted projects.

I know that work on the Valley Line occurs 6 days a week, and I believe the Yellowhead is similar. I don't understand why it isn't the standard for all major city contracted projects.
Yeah it's a good and interesting question.

My guess is the short simple answer is cost, given working 6+ days a week plus evening/nights begins to incur some significant OT and non-day shift premiums, which is a huge cost escalation when we're talking projects with tens/hundreds of thousands of man hours.

The longer answer being possibly somewhere along the lines of the CoE typically tendering projects with specific milestones on a general timeline, and it's the bidder's job to decide whether they want to bid it with guys working overtime on weekends or not to meet that timeline (those who do bid with OT often not low bidder), but also on larger infrastructure jobs (i.e. YHT, LRT as noted) there potentially even may be some sort of stipulation that work must occur 6 days a week for multitude of reasons, including things such as public image and/or degree of inconvenience caused by construction.

Just spit ballin' though

You would be amazed how much having construction machines parked in front of your home for months upon months, without being used nearly as frequently as they could, impacts your whole life, overall
Certainly but we must have days off for all involved.

That said, 6 days a week 730am-10pm please and thank you.

Yeah it's a good and interesting question.

My guess is the short simple answer is cost, given working 6+ days a week plus evening/nights begins to incur some significant OT and non-day shift premiums, which is a huge cost escalation when we're talking projects with tens/hundreds of thousands of man hours.

The longer answer being possibly somewhere along the lines of the CoE typically tendering projects with specific milestones on a general timeline, and it's the bidder's job to decide whether they want to bid it with guys working overtime on weekends or not to meet that timeline (those who do bid with OT often not low bidder), but also on larger infrastructure jobs (i.e. YHT, LRT as noted) there potentially even may be some sort of stipulation that work must occur 6 days a week for multitude of reasons, including things such as public image and/or degree of inconvenience caused by construction.

Just spit ballin' though
I don't think it is cost... all of your "sunk costs" in equipment are 20% more efficient working 6 days instead of 5 and 40% more efficient working 7 days instead of 6. in addition to that, all of your overhead and margin is recovered/paid in 20 - 40% less time which is more profitable even if the dollars are the same. in addition, for those projects that completed in one season rather than two as a result, holdbacks are released/paid a year earlier, warranties expire a year sooner on the work completed in the first year and you eliminate the costs of demobilizing and remobilizing the following year.

as far as those "living in the vicinity", even if the construction is now taking place 7 days a week instead of 5, it's still not likely taking place 7 days a week in front of every home and residence fronting the project. lastly, i would rather have my entire weekend back in 20 - 40% less time than 5 day a week construction. that way not only do i get to enjoy a full weekend that much sooner, my guests will have full access outside of a construction zone 7 days a week a lot sooner.

I would not say that 7 day per week working is the norm in construction. People need days off and there are laws about how many days in a row you can work for good reason. Look at the towers under construction - how many Sundays do you see cranes operating? Work is limited by noise bylaws and that reduces the available hours on a Sunday. Calm down people.

I would not say that 7 day per week working is the norm in construction. People need days off and there are laws about how many days in a row you can work for good reason. Look at the towers under construction - how many Sundays do you see cranes operating? Work is limited by noise bylaws and that reduces the available hours on a Sunday. Calm down people.
(a) 7 days a week doesn’t mean people don’t have days off. everything from grocery and big box stores and malls to hospitals and airports all have 7 day norms and many of them operate multiple shifts per day operating the same stations and/or equipment.

(b) suggesting improvements in how things could be done is more than just botching and complaining and in most cases is rendered quite calmly.

Back