Prairie Sky Gondola | 76.2m | ?s | Prairie Sky | DIALOG

What do you think of this project?

• Total voters
What's also impressive about this privately funded initiative and venture is how quickly things have progressed given the amount of work required. And we've been in a pandemic!

This was just an idea in fall 2018 and it has moved right along even though still lots to do. Even construction won't take that long once it gets to that stage - 18 months! Compared to the timelines for so many other projects, this is very refreshing. If all goes well, spring 2024 it will be open.

Where does it say 2024?

Prairie Sky Gondola has updated their website with more information, timelines and next steps.

Sooo exciting!! 😀 Can't wait to see it start construction in the next couple years!

The future of this project now rests with our new council.

Here is a statement from Michael Janz - May 30 instagram.

"When I think about projects that will improve the life in our city, for me it's not the Gondola, it's the high level line. The high level line has to be our priority... it's free, it's public land, it's public pathway.... so for me it's about setting priorities, what's the priorities for the public interest, what's the maximal good for the maximum number of people ... the high level line is a no-brainer."

I agree that the high level line is a good project, but why can't we have the Gondola too. The high level line doesn't add any access to the river valley and the Gondola does and it will take people to a focal point in Rossdale and the power plant for future development. I hope Janz, who was the NDP backed candidate, can see that while this is a private development, it can add a lot to enhance our city.

Upcoming post - the view of Anne Stevenson.

Last edited:
The gondola and High Level line are two different projects. While the High Level Line will benefit pedestrians and cyclists, the Prairie Sky Gondola will provide another river crossing.
Exactly. Two different projects but both will add a lot to this city for it's residents and for tourism .The shame about the High-Level line is that they asked for 80K of funding last year and council rejected them. I guess because of COVID. I hope this new council will be more open-minded and see the broader picture of what certain projects can do for this city. Stop blocking progress.!

Yup. It would be idiocy to turn down this project which would inject $150m of private money into the city and bring a new transportation option from downtown to our river valley and whyte ave. This creates less of a disturbance to our nature than mountain bikers do.

Once justification I can't wrap my head around that I have seen alot with this project is the "impact on the river valley" surrounding around noise and wildlife.

I don't think this Gondola will contribute near enough the same level of noise as the cars going down those two roads. Those cars are LOUD. Build the gondola, it will help development in Rossdale!

Back