Daveography

Administrator
Staff member
Member Bio
Reaction score
Capital Boulevard Legacy Public Art Project – Canada 150

The%20works.jpg

Capital Boulevard Legacy Public Art Project – Canada 150

The Art & Design in Public Places Program (The Places) is pleased to announce the commission of five new original landmark sculptures for the Capital Boulevard Legacy Public Art Project – Canada 150. The sculptures will bring meaning to Capital Boulevard and contribute to the Boulevard being the most important street in the Province of Alberta. Capital Boulevard encompasses five blocks of 108th Street between 99th Avenue and 104th Avenue. The five finalists, selected from an invitational call extended to 48 Alberta artists, are Leo Arcand of Alexander First Nation, Sandra Bromley of Edmonton, Firebrand Glass (Julia Reimer and Tyler Rock) of Black Diamond, Ken Macklin of Gunn, and Voyager Art & Tile (Dawn Detarando and Brian McArthur) of Red Deer.

This Project has been made possible in part by the Government of Canada, with matching investments from partners: the Alberta Foundation for the Arts, and the City of Edmonton; and support from the Downtown Business Association, and The Works Society.

The five commissioned sculptures will be a legacy for Canada’s 150th anniversary of Confederation. Alberta artists will contribute to the interpretation and storytelling of Canada’s past, present and future. The sculptures will reflect Canadian landscapes, culture, history and/or values such as diversity, inclusion, reconciliation, and inspiring youth. The artworks will be a symbol of community collaboration and partnership as citizens come together for Canada 150. In addition, these five sculptures will become part of the Alberta Foundation for the Arts Collection.

http://www.gallerieswest.ca/blogs-and-buzz/capital-boulevard-legacy-public-art-project-–-canada-150/

Paula Simons: Five new sculptures aim to animate Capital Boulevard in time for Canada's 150th birthday
Five completely different statues in five different mediums — all soon to take their places along Capital Boulevard, the five-block stretch of 108 Street that connects the legislature precinct to the MacEwan University campus.

Over the years, we’ve spent a lot of public dollars to gussy up the street, with brickwork, planters and glass finials on the lamp-posts. Still, it hasn’t been easy to turn the street, north and south of Jasper Avenue, into a welcoming promenade.

But this summer, Capital Boulevard will become a sculpture walk, with five art installations, designed to mark Canada’s sesquicentennial — one per block.

“These are five different ways of telling the Canada 150 story,” says Linda Wedman, executive director of The Places, Edmonton’s public art and design program, which commissioned the works.

http://edmontonjournal.com/entertai...-boulevard-in-time-for-canadas-150th-birthday

A couple of the new art pieces are in, between 99 & Jasper Ave.

P6300130.jpg
P6300132.jpg
P6300125.jpg
P6300123.jpg
P6300124.jpg

Attachments

• P6300130.jpg
    P6300130.jpg
    908.5 KB · Views: 496
  • P6300132.jpg
    P6300132.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 522
  • P6300125.jpg
    P6300125.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 512
  • P6300123.jpg
    P6300123.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 518
  • P6300124.jpg
    P6300124.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 556
With this development and the Parks I can see 108th street becoming a desirable walking street -- the City should begin reducing traffic lanes along this street, making it more of a pedestrian boulevard between the Legislative Building and MacEwan University.

They have already. But more can be done for Capital Boulevard. https://www.theworks.ab.ca/capital-boulevard

With this development and the Parks I can see 108th street becoming a desirable walking street -- the City should begin reducing traffic lanes along this street, making it more of a pedestrian boulevard between the Legislative Building and MacEwan University.
It has various elements but very little along it right now to make it active or attractive.

It has been reduced and is very much a nicely balanced street today my friend.

It has various elements but very little along it right now to make it active or attractive.

It has been reduced and is very much a nicely balanced street today my friend.
They have already. But more can be done for Capital Boulevard.
I am well aware of what exists today, but with Norquest occupying both sides of 108th Street between 102nd Avenue and 103rd Avenue and with the Parks dominating the east side of 108th Street between Jasper Ave. and 102nd Avenue and with all of the mid-rise office and apartment buildings south of Jasper avenue through to the Provincial Government precinct there exists an excellent opportunity to turn 108th Street between the Legislature and MacEwan University into a grand pedestrian boulevard somewhat akin to Santa Monica's Third Street Promenade. I think that I will get our team to take a whack at this. For those unfamiliar with Santa Monica's Pedestrian Promenade...
SM Street 1.png
SM Street 2.png
SM Street 3.png
SM Street 4.png

This, but much better planned for the current state of Retail and Hospitality. Kiosk space for buskers and street performers (ideal location considering the proximity of two Universities (MacEwan & Norquest), plus Government and Energy Precinct Offices, plus existing and planned apartments, plus near proximity of the Warehouse District Park 1/2 block to the east) and a potential expansion of ERR system (@CplKlinger following up on your detailed exposé) spurring off of the existing Grandin location at 100th Avenue heading east to 108th Street and then forming a loop that would go north along 108th to 104th avenue and then east on a curbside lane along 104th Avenue to 106th Street, south along 106th to to 99th Avenue, bending west to 108th Street where it would go north one block to close the loop -- the ERR system would then become a year-round transit option with a development partner that would include ERRS, the City and a Private Corporation -- rides would be free throughout the whole system with revenue developed from other streams (3-d advertising, XR development, and gamification) -- this would not be a conventional destination transit system -- it would instead be a "pleasure" ride connecting Strathcona to the downtown core and a major pedestrian street promenade. More to come (join me if you like -- PM to discuss). This, my friends, could become the envy of all other Canadian Cities. A Gateway Boulevard to Capital Boulevard strip park that is a world unto itself.

Last edited:
a potential expansion of ERR system (@CplKlinger following up on your detailed exposé) spurring off of the existing Grandin location at 100th Avenue heading east to 108th Street and then forming a loop that would go north along 108th to 104th avenue and then east on a curbside lane along 104th Avenue to 106th Street, south along 106th to to 99th Avenue, bending west to 108th Street where it would go north one block to close the loop -- the ERR system would then become a year-round transit option with a development partner that would include ERRS, the City and a Private Corporation -- rides would be free throughout the whole system with revenue developed from other streams (3-d advertising, XR development, and gamification) -- this would not be a conventional destination transit system -- it would instead be a "pleasure" ride connecting Strathcona to the downtown core and a major pedestrian street promenade. More to come (join me if you like -- PM to discuss). This, my friends, could become the envy of all other Canadian Cities. A Gateway Boulevard to Capital Boulevard strip park that is a world unto itself.
Personally, I would love to see an expansion of the ERRS system. But they're definitely not in the position for such a large expansion, or going to full year operations. Trust me, I would love for that to happen. But they're facing a crunch in two important areas: Money, and volunteers. There are many other things which must happen first: They need to improve their current stops, they need to build a new storage barn at Fort Ed for the (15ish) bodies awaiting restoration (each streetcar can take over a decade to restore), they need to build the replica station by the Whyte Ave stop which would ideally house their museum, archives, etc. (even this is a longer term thing), and they need to get more volunteers to improve their current service. The HLB line used to operate 7 days per week, and now it's down to 4 (soon to be 3, after Labour Day) because they don't have enough people for daily service. A lot of this stuff would be relatively minor for a business or government agency to tackle, but it's quite significant for a volunteer organization. This means that it takes them longer to do this stuff. I'm not trying to shut down your idea, I totally get that you're giving us your ideal vision of the area. And I personally love it. I'm just saying that if we want to see this blvd get improved in the next few years, the ERRS won't be a part of it unfortunately.

So for anyone in Edmonton and area, I'll say this again: If you like history and/or railroads, and you want the ERRS to succeed, consider joining as a volunteer. There's a ton to do, from streetcar restoration to ticket selling, and every bit helps. I can't stress that enough, so I'll say it again. Whatever you do to help, they will appreciate it, and it will make a tangible difference for them. If you don't live in the area, consider donating a bit if you're able to. They rely on donations and grants, and again, every bit helps them out. For example, from their website:

"Did you know that the replacement of one single tie on the High Level Bridge amounts to $1,000 or that the refurbishment of streetcar #42's motors has resulted in an expense of $80,000 to the society?"

^^^^ That's why we need a triumvirate of ERRS (the build and sustain know-how), the City (right-of-way accessibility) and a Financial Partner to keep the line running and profitable.

^^^^ That's why we need a triumvirate of ERRS (the build and sustain know-how), the City (right-of-way accessibility) and a Financial Partner to keep the line running and profitable.
Do you mean triumvirate in the formal sense of the word, where all three govern the ERRS?

Back