Stantec Tower | 250.84m | 66s | ICE District Prop.

What do you think of this project?

• Total voters
I'm still annoyed the one time I got to go up to the top of JW, it was light blizzard conditions (IN MID SEPTEMBER, BECAUSE OF COURSE) so couldn't see more than a few KM in any direction.
Not much farther than Millet due to the Earth's curvature (unless you are a flat-earther then, on a clear day, you should be able to see all the way to Buenos Aires 🤔)
Or if you're from Saskatchewan, where the old timers love to tell you about the time they watched their dog run away for two straight weeks.

seeing reports that at least one pane of glass has fallen from about the 30th floor of stantec...

one york street in toronto had a similar issue with a couple of panes falling from the 16th floor in february 2019. it was reportedly due to weather/wind starting the day before.

it makes you wonder whether there were full-size mock-up panels built and tested prior to fabricating and installing the curtainwall...

it doesn't take much wind at those heights - and higher in the case of stantec - to create some pretty substantial negative pressures that need be dealt with.

Last edited:
seeing reports that at least one pane of glass has fallen from about the 30th floor of stantec...
2TYINni.jpg

one york street in toronto had a similar issue with a couple of panes falling from the 16th floor in february 2019. it was reportedly due to weather/wind starting the day before.

it makes you wonder whether there were full-size mock-up panels built and tested prior to fabricating and installing the curtainwall...

it doesn't take much wind at those heights - and higher in the case of stantec - to create some pretty substantial negative pressures that need be dealt with.

Wow! Looks to be just the exterior lite in the unit that broke.

Also, yes, they did complete mockups for testing prior to.

Reference ID:Job No 402151664-002
Description:To develop a Comprehensive Sign Design Plan for (STANTEC TOWER)
Plan 1722545 Blk 2 Lot 3
10270 - 103 AVENUE NW
Plan 1722545 Blk 2 Lot 11
10360 - 102 STREET NW
Plan 1822676 Blk 2 Lot 6
Applicant:STANTEC, RASTISLAV
Create Date:7/12/2021 10:09:04 AM
Neighbourhood:DOWNTOWN

I didn't capture this in my pics but there is a patio door.
Sorry, I meant on the top floor. My comment was a cruddy joke because I'm salty that neither Stantec nor JW Marriot have a publically accessible observation deck near their top floors.

Sorry, I meant on the top floor. My comment was a cruddy joke because I'm salty that neither Stantec nor JW Marriot have a publically accessible observation deck near their top floors.
An observation deck at the top of Canada's tallest building (outside of Toronto) should've been a no brainer. AND, it would have generated steady income for KGRE while they tried to sell condos / rent apartments.

An observation deck at the top of Canada's tallest building (outside of Toronto) should've been a no brainer. AND, it would have generated steady income for KGRE while they tried to sell condos / rent apartments.
well no... as far as i know, there are no observation decks in canada that come close to paying their way when you look at the dedicated space required for elevator access and exiting etc.

cn tower comes close and possibly husky tower but that's only because they're purpose built.

others - like the empire state building - that are successful on office buildings are in the heart of world renowned tourist centres. they're successful there and wouldn't be in smaller centres elsewhere (like edmonton - already proven with the closing of the telus' 33rd floor observation floor).

an observation deck on a residential building not only compounds the problems in general, it would considerably devalue all of the high end penthouse condos at the top whose patios etc. are now visible from a publicly accessible observation deck.

Back