Muriel Ross Abdurahman Court | ?m | 4s | Carlson Construction | Voschell Architecture and Design | ?m | 4s

What do you think of this project?

• I like it a lot

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I like it

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

CplKlinger

Member Bio
Reaction score
Hopefully it's ok to have this in its own thread; it's just so unique. The Heartland Housing Association, which manages affordable housing projects in the region, is beginning work on a 4-story apartment complex in Fort Saskatchewan. Design work began in late 2019. The site is all fenced off, and I confirmed with Carlson Construction today that work has begun. It is located near the Dr. Turner seniors lodge, which they also manage. There will be ~83 units in total, distributed throughout four stories. Some of the units will be 10%-20% below market rate (while others will be at market rate), and these will be the first affordable housing units in Fort Saskatchewan which aren't only for seniors. This is being dubbed an affordable family housing project, and HHA will also work with the Robin Hood Association, which is a local support group for peoples with disabilities, to house some of their members in this new building.

The building will be constructed modularly out of approximately 200 recycled shipping containers, which will make it the largest such development in Alberta. The Studio 6 hotel in Bruderheim is the next largest, being made out of around 120 containers.
Map2.png

The apartment's location (grey icon)

20210322_132219.jpg20210322_132115.jpg20210322_132358.jpg
Some photos of the site, taken today.

Studio 6.jpg
The Studio 6 hotel in Bruderheim for reference; it is composed of 120 shipping containers.

Attachments

• 20210322_132021.jpg
    20210322_132021.jpg
    218.5 KB · Views: 315
  • 20210322_132005.jpg
    20210322_132005.jpg
    208.7 KB · Views: 218
Thanks for sharing this @CplKlinger I love the Fort Saskatchewan information you're able to provide regarding its history and ongoing projects. We all love Edmonton and as it's growing at what I think is quite a strong pace its important the cities and towns in our metropolitan area are able to keep up. Appreciate the work you're doing corporal (is that what Cpl stands for? That was always my guess let me know :p )

Thanks for sharing this @CplKlinger I love the Fort Saskatchewan information you're able to provide regarding its history and ongoing projects. We all love Edmonton and as it's growing at what I think is quite a strong pace its important the cities and towns in our metropolitan area are able to keep up. Appreciate the work you're doing corporal (is that what Cpl stands for? That was always my guess let me know :p )
Thanks for the kind words, I appreciate that a lot! I agree; I love watching Edmonton grow as well, but there's something really exciting about watching a city with an overly car-centric suburban mindset begin to embrace dense pedestrian/transit focused growth. I mean, look at this current view of 99th ave near downtown, versus what the municipal development plan envisions.

Map2.pngMDP1.PNG

The MDP calls for the city, which currently has ~27,000 residents, to grow to 40,000 residents through densification and completion of current developments alone. The 952 hectares of land which the city annexed in January 2021 won't be touched by development for a long time, and hopefully when it does get used, our mindset towards sustainable development will be much more pervasive. This affordable housing development is a part of that puzzle, and hopefully we'll continue to see downtown, and key corridors like 99th ave, densify in the coming years.

And yes, Cpl stands for Corporal; it's a MASH reference :D

Last edited:
Thanks for the kind words, I appreciate that a lot! I agree; I love watching Edmonton grow as well, but there's something really exciting about watching a city with an overly car-centric suburban mindset begin to embrace dense pedestrian/transit focused growth. I mean, look at this current view of 99th ave near downtown, versus what the municipal development plan envisions.

View attachment 307374View attachment 307373

The MDP calls for the city, which currently has ~27,000 residents, to grow to 40,000 residents through densification and completion of current developments alone. The 952 hectares of land which the city annexed in January 2021 won't be touched by development for a long time, and hopefully when it does get used, our mindset towards sustainable development will be much more pervasive. This affordable housing development is a part of that puzzle, and hopefully we'll continue to see downtown, and key corridors like 99th ave, densify in the coming years.

And yes, Cpl stands for Corporal; it's a MASH reference :D

So...say to assume you are a member of Fort Saskatchewan's Planning & Development department? :D

Ok, the article mentioned that the design got third place in a global award competition. I found their award page, which contains renderings and a description of how they will achieve net zero. The second image I attached includes details on that, the first image is a detailed rendering, and the rest of the images describe various technical aspects about the project.
Heartland-Housing-Innovative-Housing-Project-By-Voshell-Architecture-and-Design-Inc-1.jpgHeartland-Housing-Innovative-Housing-Project-By-Voshell-Architecture-and-Design-Inc-2.jpgHeartland-Housing-Innovative-Housing-Project-By-Voshell-Architecture-and-Design-Inc-3.jpgHeartland-Housing-Innovative-Housing-Project-By-Voshell-Architecture-and-Design-Inc-4.jpgHeartland-Housing-Innovative-Housing-Project-By-Voshell-Architecture-and-Design-Inc-5.jpgHeartland-Housing-Innovative-Housing-Project-By-Voshell-Architecture-and-Design-Inc-6.jpg

Note: The article contains a mistake about the building's namesake. Abdurahman wasn't responsible for "construction of the railway bridge through the centre of town" - there is no such bridge. She was largely responsible for the removal of the railway from the center of Fort Saskatchewan.

According to the news release, the building will contain 83 units of affordable housing and 20 units of housing for the Robin Hood Association (which I discussed further in the original post).

Back