Muttart Lands Redevelopment | ?m | ?s | Brookfield

Daveography

Administrator
Staff member
Member Bio
Reaction score
muttart.png

Story encompasses a bit more than just the Muttart lands, but since they seem central to this plan I thought I'd use this thread to talk about it.

$14M partnership aims to see new community flourish around Stadium LRT station
City officials believe a new Edmonton-Brookfield partnership could finally crack the city’s challenge to building new walkable, high-density neighbourhoods around LRT stations.

The city and Brookfield are going 50-50, with the developer matching Edmonton’s $14-million investment in sewer upgrades, new LRT line crossings and a local promenade.

It would kick-start development on the Brookfield-owned Muttart lands and, officials hope, lead to redevelopment all around the station. A new area plan for the adjacent neighbourhoods went to public hearing Monday.

“I’m really, really hoping that this will be the (transit-oriented development) we can put out to the public and say this is what we’re talking about,” said Ward 7 Coun. Tony Caterina.

The partnership was first approved by council in 2014, but the developer put it on hold during the downturn. Now it’s hoping to start construction this summer.

http://edmontonjournal.com/news/loc...community-flourish-around-stadium-lrt-station

Attachments

• muttart.png
    muttart.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 1,416
Two stops to the southwest at Stadium Station, directly beside Commonwealth Stadium where the Eskimos of the Canadian Football League play, Brookfield is now developing the land for sale rather than the city. “We’re going to be putting in all of the roads, the new pedestrian crossing through the LRT right-of-way, building the two new parks, all the sidewalks, all the public infrastructure essentially,” says Cherie Stewart, senior manager of business development with Brookfield.

Once this work is complete there will be four plots of land that have been zoned for mixed use – or, essentially, residential and retail – “where developers can come in and build towers,” she says.

And the company is already in advanced talks with a developer from outside Edmonton to build towers on the site. “We really hope that this deal closes and then they can get into the ground right away,” Ms. Stewart says. “Best case would be 2021 that we would actually see some building, at the latest.”

Ms. Stewart says Brookfield envisions the land parcel as a dense, urban, transit-oriented village with retail shops along the streets and 1,400 housing units above it all. The project will ultimately look similar to dense developments you might see in Portland or Stockholm, she says, and its main selling features are its proximity – to the LRT, the nearby North Saskatchewan River valley and downtown. “And we feel that the Commonwealth Stadium, with concerts, football fans, all of those events, will really help liven that area up,” she says.

Still, Ms. Stewart says the project is “definitely a new concept for Edmonton.”

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/rea...velopment-along-lrt/?cmpid=rss&click=sf_globe

Related to this, I've seen the concept for the Stadium LRT redevelopment right next door that will serve the Muttart Lands. It looks really cool!

Maybe i'm missing something here.... how has this land remained vacant and undeveloped for so long? Or was there something there prior to this new development?

Hopefully it is more imaginative than the clump of buildings that City Planning used to define the area in relation to the rebuild of the LRT Station (which in itself needs a rethink). Does this mean that Brookfield is going to develop (I wonder) or are they just pushing it further along in terms of civic hurdles to up the buyer stakes?

Back