Connect Centre | 56.3m | 16s | ONE Properties | DIALOG

What do you think of this project?

• Total voters
Weird, the DP submitted is still for 47 floors?

Reference ID: Job No 234919092-001
Description: To construct a mixed Use building with a 4 Storey Commercial podium with General Retail Stores, Restaurants, Spectator Entertainment Establishment, and Professional, Financial and Office Support Services, and a 43 Storey Apartment Housing tower with 577 Dwellings.
Plan NB1 Blk 3 Lot 196
10324 - 103 STREET NW
Plan NB1 Blk 3 Lots 183-184,189-195
10324 - 103 STREET NW
Plan NB1 Blk 3 Lots 197-198
Applicant: DIALOG
Create Date: 11/10/2016 3:57:56 PM
Neighbourhood: DOWNTOWN

577 dwellings in 43 floors seems like a lot. Hendrix are tiny units, yet there are only 260 units in 29 floors. That works out to just under 9 units a floor. 43 floors in the Hendrix and you would still only have 385.

I wonder if Dialog would tell us anything if we gave them a ring. :D

Here are some new renderings from tonight. Sorry for the terrible quality, but this is the best I could do.

A few things to note:

- They said they couldn't go taller because of soil conditions. When pressed by EDC, they claimed the soil conditions between this site and the Stantec Tower are quite different.
- The residential tower entrance will be off of the laneway (northwest corner of the building).
- Some retail will wrap around onto 104 Avenue, which is good.
- The park on top of the podium is going to be accessible to the public through the main atrium (mid-block).
- The tower balconies will be frosted and be continuous for almost the whole east and west faces. They showed One Bloor as an example.
- 103 Street is going to be open the majority of the time, only closed for major events in the square (a little disappointing)
- Grocery store entrance at southeast corner (103/103).

And here are my terrible photos of the renderings:

Ice District Tower B by Chris Vazquez, on Flickr

And the tower height as compared to other towers in the area:

@chrisvazquez7 Thanks for checking it out and reporting back. Design looks a little better than the previous one at least. Disappointed the height got cut short again, but hard to complain about a ~160m tower going up. Frosted balconies should be interesting, they certainly add something to developments like Harbour plaza and One Bloor East.

Did EDC approve?

At first I was like holy smokes thats short... but then realized its still taller than Manulife... oh how spoiled we have become already.

I like the new render a lot, I think it will look really good. Minus the east face balconies remind me of those concrete ones down on jasper ave just east of 109 street.

The new render looks much better than the old one. Quite a wide tower - but it would have to be to accommodate that many units. This one is to be complete in 2020, correct? I wonder when they aim to have the podium open - the theatre specifically. I look forward to a VIP theatre that isn't in Windermere! :D

The only weird to me at least, is that they said that 103rd Street may be open to traffic in the future. The City of Edmonton road information site has it permanently closed between 103rd/104th Avenues going forward. From some of those shots, the trees and big video screen sign thing look to block any meaningful traffic. I don't know how they will protect pedestrians moving between the plaza and Cineplex/Groceries as the renders don't seem to show a big difference between the road and walkways in this area. Perhaps, it is simply an early render and the road design hasn't been finalized though!

^ The road is now privately owned, so that might be why the City lists it as permanently closed. And I imagine they will have bollards along the street to clearly define where the street edge is.

@Daveography EDC doesn't give their decision right away. They take up to 48 hours to let the applicant know, and then as far as I know, the public won't know the decision until the minutes are posted online.

Back